This is by far the best video I have ever seen about global warming. It doesn't use the scare factor to motivate people to be active in making change. Did you watch it?! The graphics and music are great.
At lunch on Monday, Sophie Korn, an ACE promoter and presenter came to our Science & Environment Club meeting. She talked to us about starting our own team action. I was all over that idea. We committed to starting a team action which is called FSHA Climate Action Team. Sophie chose me to be the ACE ambassador for the team!! I am super honored and way excited. Our goal is to raise awareness of climate change and complete projects that help reduce CO2. We have 11 members of the team and have already met to plan future projects. Our first project is to go to Victory Park and cleanup trash. I figured we should start out small and then work up to bigger projects. Around Earth Day, April 23, we are going to have a major tree planting activity.
This morning I went to Lawndale with two friends from school- Mary and Marisa. We were invited to attend an ACE public narrative training. It was absolutely amazing. It was held at Environmental Charter High School. I had never even heard of that school until this event came up. The campus is so amazing. They are so green. They have their own rainwater collecting system that recycles through the whole school. There are gardens with fruit trees outside of the classrooms! How cool is that? Murals are painted all over the buildings.
I love this message.

This one might be hard to read, but it says green ambassadors.

This was by far my favorite mural.

The earth melting is kind of a scary image, but I really like the ice cream cone idea. :)

This is my lovely friend Marisa. She is the Science & Environment Club President. This mural is so pretty.

I really like this one of our President. And that is Mary in the picture. haha She is not on the club board but she is a member of our FSHA Climate Action Team.

They have a great waste station at their school. They inspired us to make stations similar to these at our school. We have composting and recycling at our school but it is not very organized. This is a great way to get people to compost and recycle more.

Oh ya... they have a stream at their school. Pretty average... I mean what school doesn't have a stream between buildings? ;)

So beautiful.
Ok so today I learned how to give a public narrative which is basically spreading my message with others about why I have a passion for the environment. I thought I would give mine on here! So you avid blog readers of mine may not actually know what started me into the environmental movement. It all started when I saw Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth in my freshman year. My English teacher gave an extra credit assignment to go see the movie and write an analysis of it. I remember looking up information about the movie wanting to know what it was about. When I found out it was about global warming I thought, "What is global warming?" I had heard the term before but never knew anything about it. Well, I absolutely loved the movie. While I was watching it, I learned so much about how humans have an impact on earth. Unfortunately it has been a negative impact. I remember watching the beautiful images of nature in the movie and thinking how devastating it is that we are harming it. At the end of the movie I got way excited because I learned about all the different things I could do to help! When I got home I printed out the list of 10 things to do from and talked with my parents about making our home environmentally friendly. They were very willing to help. Before watching the movie we recycled cans and bottles. Our only real incentive for this was to get our refund money back. After watching the movie when we would recycle I had a different outlook. I was recycling because I loved my environment and I wanted to be resourceful! When I took AP Environmental Science last year I realized my calling. I realized that my passion for the environment is something that will always stay with me. I decided that I was going to do as much as I could about raising awareness for protecting the environment. I became the treasurer of the Science and Environment Club at school. Now I am the ACE ambassador for FSHA Climate Action Team. I know that when people band together they can spread the message with so much power.
I am so grateful for ACE. The leaders for this non-profit organization are so motivating and inspiring. Alec, a fifteen year old boy, who wrote The Declaration of Independence from Fossil Fuels came to the training today. At twelve years old he created his own presentation about global warming. He presented this presentation to thirty different schools before meeting Al Gore. He has presented about one hundred presentations now. The Declaration of Independence from Fossil Fuels was presented to congress last week. I signed it! It basically states that we do not want to be reliant upon fossil fuels. We want renewable energy that is healthier for our planet and for us! Alec was so inspiring when he gave his public narrative. He talked about our generation has the power to help save our planet from the crisis it is in right now. It was wonderful.
Go to www.acespace.org to learn more about this organization. I was interviewed and asked to share my public narrative on video so it will be up on the website soon. :D I was a little nervous so please ignore my poor presentation. haha. I will get better with practice. :)

This is a group photo of everyone who came to ECHS today. It was awesome to meet other youth who have great ideas. I learned so much from them.

Jordan, a senior at ECHS, was so inspiring. She started an organization called RAP- Rise Above Plastics. She told us that plastic was invented in the fifties to be a convenient product because it lasts forever. What they didn't think about is that plastic lasts forever. It is not biodegradable. So now we have this problem about plastic lasting forever and filling our landfills. She has a website called jordaninspires.com. She gives presentations to schools. I am hoping that she can come to our school for our Earth Week Assembly. She also trains people to give presentations which would be so awesome to be a part of!

Here we are... your future environmental leaders. :D
Ahh Emily!
ReplyDeleteThis is all so awesome. Anyone that reads this will immediately want to get involved with ACE or at least be inspired to get into some fun green activities. I am sure that Jordan will inspire many a person in this world, she already has!
I'm definitely getting a blog!
This is so fun!
Love you!
This is Mary btw, there was no name for me to comment under!
Thanks so much Mary!
ReplyDeleteOh and I watched the video on Jodan's website! That was so powerful.
Let me know when you have your blog up and running. I can help you with questions that you have because starting a blog can be a bit difficult.
Love ya too!! I'm so glad we went this morning. What a great way to start vacation!!
EMIE -you are MY SUPERHERO! You are SO marrying a hippie - a good artsy green Mormon hippie. And you will have green hippie children that will help you change the world forever. : D
ReplyDelete